Tuesday, January 31, 2012

AUGUSTO AND KARLA THANK ALL OF YOU


Thanks
I can't begin to tell you how much your prayers, karma, positive vibes and support have meant to us. Your kindness and concern really made a difference to Karla and our two kids, as they were the ones who had to deal with the emotional roller coaster as my condition varied.  This has been a remarkable experience and your love and support served to recharge Karla and the kids, as I was...lets say...on a mental vacation (more about this later)!  

That was then...This is now 
The kids are fine. They weathered this experience with courage and you had a lot to do with that.  Karla has recovered almost completely and is back to work full time. I should be fully recovered by this summer.  Karla and I have returned to our workout routine of 3 times a week and so we are back to a somewhat normal schedule. I still have about 2-3 months remaining of therapy on my left elbow and I expect (hope) to regain a good portion of my previous range of motion on the elbow. 

Lessons learned
I've been told that my heart stopped three (3) times in the ambulance, which I interpret to be that I died as many. Therefore, I could be considered in some quarters to be an expert on death, at least more qualified than those who have died and returned to life only once or twice. With that as background material, I thought that I would give you report of my experiences and observations in having glimpsed the Far Side of the World!
Observation #1 - I saw no light. I recognize that some of my fellow brethren have reported seeing a light and having a calming sensation, but I neither saw nor felt anything. Now... I am still trying to interpret what that means, because I shudder to think that where I eventually go...will be dark.
Observation #2 - If by chance you have the option to 1) Go quickly or 2) Go Slowly, my recommendation is to Go Quickly. I have no memory of that tragic morning and only have a fleeting "Audio" memory (no visual memory attached) of my brother and father telling me that "I was in an accident, Karla and the kids were fine, stay strong and you are doing fine" several days after the accident. My reaction to their sobering message was as a detached observer.
Observation #3 - If on the other hand you are relegated to Go Slowly, then my recommendation is to demand "Top Shelf Drugs" because that’s what I had and I can tell you they worked!
Observation #4 - My final observation is most relevant to our daily lives and has to do with the "Don't sweat the small stuff" mentality typically associated with a higher level of being. While in the hospital, I had a lot of time to think how my life would change, and I can tell you that I experienced a higher level of being but it only lasted about 3 weeks. Kids have a knack for bringing one back to reality.
Thanks again and may we all have a healthy and prosperous 2012!
Augusto            

1 comment:

  1. Hey Augusto,

    I am so pleased that you and your family have survived this experience with what appears to be a far greater strength and resilience than you thought you had. Based on Elena's comments she surely values the love of family and friends very much and loves her Mom and Dad very much.

    Thanks to your father for keeping me (everyone) updated and Jose as well for keeping me updated via Facebook in the first few days.

    Good Luck with your physio.

    Regards, David

    ReplyDelete